Water heaters are appliances that provide a constant supply of hot water. They are often taken for granted and easily overlooked, but it’s very important to always check on your water heater maintenance. In order to avoid costly repairs on water heaters, make sure to keep the instructor’s manual and learn on how to properly maintain it.
With numerous types of water heaters on the market, the general safety precautions also vary. One should not make shortcuts when it comes to safety.
Tips on hot water heater maintenance
Here are some helpful tips on how hot water heater maintenance is done without an accident.
- Keep in mind and always make sure that the power cord is disconnected from the water heater before performing hot water heater maintenance.
- Make sure to let the water heater cool off before touching any of the material because this kind of appliance is hot in nature. You can check its temperature by using a thermometer or just simply tap the water heater gently using the back of your hand. You do not want to touch the water heater itself, it’s hot enough to burn your hand.
- When doing hot water heater maintenance, always make sure that the area is well lit and properly ventilated. Make it a point that you can see everything when doing hot water heater maintenance in order to prevent accidents to occur.
- Also make sure to keep all the valves and water drains closed unless you need to drain water. You are dealing with hot water and steam, and when you add electricity then it could really be dangerous.
- Connect a hose at the water heater’s faucet opening and let the water run out slowly until it is completely empty. This will flush all the sediments out of the water heater. This hot water heater maintenance should be performed at least every 6 months to ensure that no sediments are blocking the way and to avoid it from water heater leaking.
- See to it that the ventilation at the bottom of the water heater is free from dust and any other agents that may block the vent system. All you need to do is to start brushing the bottom vent area. With this the air can now pass through the vent.
- When you are experiencing too hot water, you need to adjust the thermostat settings and reset it. Then test the thermostat and the water.
- Be sure to always tighten all the screws and bolts when you are done performing the hot water heater maintenance.
- Make sure to also properly inspect all the valves, gaskets, thermostat as well as the wire connections. Be sure that all is working well. But if any of the parts is faulty, then replace it with a new one to avoid any waste of heated water and to make the water heater work as efficient as a new one.
- An important reminder is to wear proper safety clothing. Wear at least hand gloves and safety boots. Remember, you are dealing with hot water and electricity. Make sure to use maintenance and repair tools properly. Use them for its proper function.
Water heater maintenance advise
Now reconnect the power supply cord and open the valves to make the water heater work. This will now work as a new oiled machine, it will function more efficiently, it will save energy cost and it will last longer.
However, do not attempt to perform maintenance if you are not sure about what you are doing. Remember, safety should be always kept in mind. Do not act like you know everything, if you are having a problem with your water heater maintenance and you are unsure of the problem and its cause, then it’s time to contact an authorized service company or anyone you know that has a knowledge on water heaters.